Fall Home Maintenance List for HomeownersRoss and Witmer
Fall is just around the corner. While the last days of warmth linger into October, it’s a smart idea to take care of some important tasks around your home before the leaves start falling. A fall home maintenance checklist can help you make sure you take care of the essentials in your Charlotte area home, so you’re well prepared for the arrival of colder temperatures.
Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
- Seal any air leaks in your home’s envelope with weatherstripping and caulking, as air leaks are often the cause of significant energy loss and air infiltration.
- Ensure there’s adequate insulation, with a minimum R-value of 38, in your attic as this is the most effective area to have an effective thermal barrier.
- Make sure gutters and downspouts don’t have any leaves or debris in them, and check that they’re securely connected. You should also take a look at the condition of your roof and chimney while you’re up there.
- See if there’s any water damage in your crawl space. Both mold and stagnant water should be taken care of promptly to prevent a much larger problem from developing.
- Clean dust and debris from your air conditioner, baseboard heaters, cold-air vents, dryer vent, room fans and stove hood to encourage effective air flow.
- Get your fireplace flue and liners cleaned to avoid creosote build-up.
- Paint your home’s interior, if you need to, while it’s still warm enough to keep your windows open when doing the job. This is also a good idea if you need to clean or replace any carpeting.
- Look at your home’s exterior to see if you need to replace any broken bricks or fix any damaged stucco. Paint, fix or replace any siding or trim, as needed. Make sure your outdoor electrical boxes are watertight.
- Schedule a pre-season maintenance appointment for your heating system. Annual tune-ups are vital for keeping your furnace or other heating systems working as efficiently and safely as possible, and to avoid the need for repair work. In addition to having a pro inspect your system, you should inspect the air filter monthly and replace as needed.
For more information on fall home maintenance, please contact us at Ross & Witmer. We’re proud to provide quality HVAC services in the Charlotte area.